If you run into a recipe that calls for buttermilk, you can make your own at home with just two ingredients! This simple recipe on how to make buttermilk works for any of your favorite baked treats!
Most recipes call for buttermilk to add tenderness, tang, and acid to react to the baking powder and baking soda. Yet somehow buttermilk never seems to be in the fridge when it’s needed. Luckily, it is really easy to make your own buttermilk substitute at home.
- 1 cup milk, or soy milk as alternative to dairy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or distilled white vinegar
- Mix the milk and lemon juice together in a small bowl until combined.
- Leave undisturbed for five minutes at room temperature.
- Use immediately to replace buttermilk in any of your baked goods! Can not store for later use.