Ingredients, Always Organic:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup GODIVA Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa Mix
- 2 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup full fat sour cream
- 3.5 ounces (1 bar) GODIVA Large 72% Dark Chocolate Bar, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick; 3 ounces total) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup VERY HOT water
- Baking oil spray
1. PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
2. Line two 8” OR 9” round cake pans with parchment paper rounds and lightly spray the paper and any exposed parts of the pans with baking oil.
3. Whisk together all-purpose flour, GODIVA Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa Mix, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
4. Put the sour cream in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 10-second intervals, stirring in between, until the sour cream is slightly warmed, but not hot to the touch when tasted; set aside.
5. Place the finely chopped GODIVA Large 72% Dark Chocolate into a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium (50% to 60% power) for 1 minute. Stir. Continue heating in 30-second intervals until the chocolate is almost completely melted, but some small chunks remain. Stir until smooth; set aside.
6. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter for 1 minute, or until smooth. Add dark brown sugar and continue to beat on medium high for 3 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy; scraping sides occasionally. Drizzle in vegetable oil and continue to beat for 3 minutes, scraping sides as needed.
7. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat for 30 seconds or until well mixed; scrape sides.
8. Drizzle in the cooled, melted chocolate and continue beating on medium high until thoroughly blended and smooth, scraping sides occasionally.
9. With the machine off, add one third of the flour mixture and slowly bring the mixer to medium speed. Continue to beat until well mixed (about 10 seconds), scraping the sides. Drizzle in about half of the very hot water. Add remaining flour mixture in two more additions, alternating with the very hot water (starting and ending with the flour mixture), and scraping sides often.
10. Add the slightly warmed sour cream and mix on low just until mostly blended. Remove bowl from the mixer, scrape the sides, and continue to fold in the sour cream by hand, using a rubber scraper, until well incorporated. Divide evenly between the two prepared pans. Smooth tops and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
11. Cool cakes in pans on racks for about 20 to 25 minutes, then carefully invert onto racks, and remove pans to cool completely before assembly (about 2 hours). Unfrosted, cooled cakes can be made in advance, stored in an airtight container with parchment between the layers, and refrigerated up to one day or frozen up to 2 weeks before assembly.
12. Mix Ganache Frosting (recipe below) about 1 hour before assembling the cake.
Dark Chocolate Ganache Frosting Ingredients, Always Organic:
- 10.5 ounces (3 bars) GODIVA Large 50% Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Bar or Large 72% Dark Chocolate Bar, finely chopped
- 3.5 ounces (1 bar) GODIVA Large 31% Milk Chocolate Bar, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons mild honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (3/4 ounce total) unsalted butter, very soft
1.5 ounces (1 bar) GODIVA Small Milk Chocolate Truffle or Solid Milk Chocolate Bar, very finely chopped
1. Place the chopped GODIVA Dark and 31% Milk Chocolate into a medium or large microwave-safe bowl; set aside.
2. Bring heavy cream to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently. Immediately pour over chopped chocolate. Let stand 10 seconds then whisk just until almost incorporated. While whisking, drizzle in the honey, then drop in the butter in 3 additions. Whisk until completely smooth and shiny.
3. Refrigerate until spreadable, about 50 to 60 minutes; gently stir once or twice with a rubber scraper. The frosting will eventually thicken to the point it seems almost perfect. Take it out of the refrigerator at that time, stir it, and use it no more than 10 minutes later.
4. Do not refrigerate too much longer than 1 hour because frosting may get too hard to spread. If this happens, microwave on medium (50% power) for 10 seconds to soften slightly. Gently stir. Repeat as needed to get a spreadable, smooth texture, but do not over heat.
To assemble cake:
1. Place one cooled cake round on a sering platter or cardboard cake round. Top with 2/3 cup Ganache Frosting, and spread it to within 3/4” from the edge. Sprinkle reserved finely chopped GODIVA Milk Truffle or Solid Milk Chocolate over the frosting, then top with second cake layer. If the frosting is thin, and the cake slides a bit, place the cake into the refrigerator for 5 minutes until the layers stay together. Spread the ganache over the entire cake. If frosting seems too thin, refrigerate it in 3 to 5 minute intervals, stirring between, but don’t let it get too thick.
2. Before serving, chill for 5 to 10 minutes to let icing set just a bit; slice with a serrated knife.
3. Cake can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature up to 4 hours the day it is made, and after that in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.