Yield: 1 loaf cake
- 185g plain flour
- 110g self raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 140g soft brown sugar
- 250g black treacle or brown sryup
- 185ml milk
- 80ml olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180c/160c .
- Grease a 10cm x 20cm x7cm (1lb) loaf tin and line with baking parchment or greaseproof paper, ensuring that the paper extends 3cm above tin. (I used a loaf tin insert, which didn’t rise above the tin and it was fine)
- Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice in a large bowl. Stir in the sugar until well combined. Whisk the treacle, milk, olive oil and eggs in a jug. Add to the flour and stir until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a cake skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean, Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and allow it to cool completely.
Variation: If you like, you can use golden syrup instead of black treacle.