- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup red and green candied cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a round tube pan.
- In a saucepan, boil the sugar, raisins, spices, Crisco, and water for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Combine all the ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into the tube pan.
- Bake on middle oven rack for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving.
Mothers Secret Recipes of Comfort Food & Culinary Inspiration from an Organic and Allergen-free Approach