Cream Pie –
- 5 T cornstarch
- 1 c sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 ½ c milk
- ¾ c half & half
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 T butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c whipping cream
- 1 9 inch deep dish pie shell*
- In a 3 qt sauce pan Mix cornstarch, sugar and salt. Add milk, half and half and cook over med heat until smooth and thick stirring constantly (15 -20 minutes).
- Beat the eggs in a separate dish and pour a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; blend thoroughly, then pour back into saucepan. Cook another 2-3 min. Don’t forget this step or your pie will not set.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. These pies are made in a deep dish pie shell.
* If you do not have a deep dish pie shell, you can use two small 9 inch pie dishes.
Coconut Cream Pie –
- Add ½ cup coconut (toasted, if desired) to pie
filling. Pour into baked pie shell. Chill 3-4
hours. When ready to serve, real whipping cream and
spread over pie. Top with another ½ c coconut.
Banana Cream Pie –
Slice 2-3 bananas into baked pie shell. Pour
filling over bananas. Chill 3-4 hours. When
ready to serve, cover with real whipping cream andÂ spread over pie. Top with fresh banana slices only when ready to serve immediately.
Chocolate Cream Pie –
- Add ½- ¾ c semisweet chocolate chips to hot
pudding. Stir until melted. Pour into graham cracker crust
pie shell. Chill 3-4 hours. When ready to serve, cover with real whipping cream and spread over pie. Top with chocolate shavings.
This Cream Pie Recipe is similar to the Lion House cream pie recipe, but the Lion House pies are made with a pastry, not a crunchy cracker / cookie crust like Maddox Ranch House pies. I prefer the taste of Graham cracker pie crusts to that of pastry. You can use traditional pie crust if prefer.
Basic Graham Cracker Pie Crust Recipe
- Yields: 1 pie crust
- Prep time: 10 min
- Bake time: 10 min
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs or 10 to 12 whole graham crackers*
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
* If using the whole graham cracker, place them in a re-sealable plastic bag and crush with your rolling pin. Then measure 1 1/2 cups of crumbs.
Makes 1 pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan or microwave, melt the butter.
- In a medium-sized bowl or a food processor, combine graham crackers, sugar, and melted butter; blend until the texture of coarse meal.
- Press into a 9- or 10-inch pie pan. Try to make the crust about 1/8 inch (1/3 cm) evenly all around. If the crumb mixture won’t stick where you press them, just add another tablespoon of water to the mix. Even the crumbs up and make sure there are no gaps or holes.
- NOTE: If you chill the crust for an hour before you bake it, this will help prevent crumbling when you want to serve it.
- Bake approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before filling. TIP: Before serving loosen pie crust from pan; dip bottom in hot water for a few seconds.
- Add a little cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice to the crumbs for a spiced flavor.
- Peanut Butter and Graham Cracker Pie Crust – Substitute 1/3 cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter for the butter.