Cinnamon Brown Sugar Topping
- 1 cup of brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts (we toasted ours, slightly)
- 1/3 cup of butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 4 teaspoons of cinnamon
- In a small bowl, using a fork, combine the 5 topping ingredients and mix until you have a coarse crumb consistency. Put aside.
Coffee Cake Batter
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups of flour
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 cup of raisins
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together using a mixer (hand or stand alone). Add the eggs one at a time, incorporating them into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add half the flour mixture and then half of the buttermilk mixture, alternating until the mixture is completely combined. Mix in the raisins.
- Place 1/2 the batter in a greased 9×13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 the cinnamon brown sugar topping. Put remaining batter on top, finish with the remaining topping.
- Bake in oven for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly and depending on whether you want to enjoy a warm piece or cooled, slice and serve.
Mothers Secret Recipes of Comfort Food & Culinary Inspiration from an Organic and Allergen-free Approach