Makes 12 cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients:
- 1 Cup organic soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 Cup raw cane sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 Cup unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- You can add all the cupcake batter ingredients listed above to a high powered blender like a vitamix and mix until smooth. Alternatively mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt in one bowl. And mix the soy milk, vinegar, sugar, vanilla extract, and coconut oil (if doing this method ensure you melt the oil to liquid) together in another bowl until smooth.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Don’t over mix. You want small lumps in the batter!
- Pour into a muffin pan with liners, each about 3/4 full. Bake in a pre-heated oven set to 350 F for 15-18 minutes.
- Baking time may vary depending on your oven (ours were baked in a convection oven so they were closer to 15 minutes). A toothpick should come out clean from the centre of the cupcakes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before icing.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 C earth balance buttery spread (room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp warm water
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- Slice the outer rind of the vanilla bean lengthwise and open up with a butter knife. Scrap the inside of the vanilla bean with the tip of the knife and remove as much of the vanilla bean as possible. Put the paste in a bowl along with the remaining ingredients and beat together with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Transfer the icing with a spatula to a piping bag fitted with a piping tip of your choice. Frost the cupcakes as desired. Serve immediately at room temperature.
- Store leftover (if you actually have any leftovers) cupcakes in the fridge and remove from the fridge 10-15 minutes before serving/eating again.