- 1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine (softened)
- 3/4 cup cocoa (or three 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted)
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
Stiff Consistency: In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add cocoa and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
For Thin (Spreading) Consistency Icing: Add 3-4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.