Homemade Caramel Sauce
Ingredients, Always Organic
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or Soy Milk
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place water and sugar in a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan. Cook on medium low, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Turn heat up to medium/medium high, so that mixture comes to a boil. Continue to boil, without stirring until color turns to amber. About 10-15 minutes. (If crystals form on side of pan, you can brush them down with a wet pastry brush.)
- Remove from heat and stir in a few tablespoons of cream. Be careful of steam. Cream will harden but dissolve as you stir. Add in remaining cream and stir until completely combined and all crystallized bits are dissolved.
- Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Transfer caramel to pint jar to cool completely. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Notes: If you have small cream crystals remaining, you can strain the caramel through a fine mesh sieve as you transfer it to the jar.
Thanks again to our friends at ChocolateChocolateandmore.com for this awesome easy recipe! Use my alternative Organic suggested ingredients for ultra healthy version of this and all recipes on my site!