- YIELD: 1 1/2cups
- UNITS: US
- 1 cup fresh ginger
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- Peel ginger and slice into rounds about 1/8 inch thick.
- Mix sugar and water in a large sauce pan and bring to boil.
- When sugar is disolved, add ginger and boil for 45 minutes.
- Ginger should be sweet and tender. Drain ginger and reserve liquid. Place ginger on rack to dry for 30 minutes.
- Toss with sugar to coat. Let dry on wax paper.
- Store in airtight container.
- Boil reserved liquid until reduced to a syrup with consistency between maple syrup and honey. (mine was that way after the 45 minutes with the ginger in it.)
- Sugar will crystalize, but just and a little water and boil.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Syrup can be used for waffles, ice cream, tea, Or wherever you use syrup.