- 1 tablespoon softened butter, for greasing the pan
- 2 tablespoons flour, for dusting the buttered pan
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, sifted
- 2/3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 3 1/2 ounce sweet chocolate bar with hazelnuts (or something comparable), chopped into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico liqueur (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Creamy Cocoa Icing:
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Apple juice or Frangelico liqueur (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300 ºF. Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan or something of comparable size.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow (about two minutes).
- Add both sugars then add remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine, scraping sides of mixer bowl down as needed to ensure even mixing.
- Pour the batter into the greased and floured pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- When done, remove to a rack to cool. Cool for about two hours before trying to ice them.
- While the brownies are cooling, start on the icing.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add all ingredients.
- Whip on medium-low to start and increase to high as powdered sugar and cocoa powder are incorporated into the icing. Scrape sides of bowl as needed to make sure icing mixes evenly.
- When brownies are cool, spread icing on them. Cut and serve brownies.
Mothers Secret Recipes of Comfort Food & Culinary Inspiration from an Organic and Allergen-free Approach