- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast (a little less than 2 packets)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups organic milk, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons organic butter, melted
- 1/2 cup organic sugar, plus 1 teaspoon
- 7-8 cups all-purpose organic flour
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar and warm water in a small, shallow bowl and mix well. Let mixture rest for about 5 minutes or until yeast activates and mixture becomes foamy.
- Combine yeast mixture, 1/2 cup sugar, milk and half of the flour then mix at medium speed for 2 minutes with an electric mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add melted butter, eggs and salt and mix well. Begin mixing in remaining flour, one cup at a time, until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- If using a stand mixer, switch to the dough hook attachment and run on low for 4 minutes. If making by hand, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 4 minutes.
- Grease the inside of a large mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn over once to grease the top. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise in a warm place for about an hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out until 1/2-inch thick then cut into 2-3” squares and lightly shape into round rolls (just soften the corners so your rolls aren’t square). Place rolls onto greased baking pans two inches apart. Cover pans with kitchen towels and allow the dough to rise again in a warm place for about an hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- Bake rolls at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Thanks to: South Your Mouth © 2011