- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- Grease a 13×9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk the first 10 ingredients. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture. Arrange slices in prepared dish. Pour remaining egg mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the first eight topping ingredients. Spread over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Drizzle with syrup. Yield: 10 servings.
1 piece: 612 calories, 36g fat (18g saturated fat), 250mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.