- PREP TIME: 10 Minutes
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- COOK TIME: 30 Minutes
- SERVINGS: 12 Servings
- 3 cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1-1/2 stick (3/4 Cup) Cold Butter, Cut Into Pieces
- 1-1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1 pound Breakfast Sausage, Hot Or Mild
- 1/3 cup All-purpose Flour
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper, More To Taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl of a food processor (or a large bowl.) Add butter pieces and pulse until butter is completely cut into the flour mixture (or use a pastry cutter if using a bowl.) While pulsing (or stirring) drizzle in the buttermilk until dough just comes together and is no longer crumbly.
- Drop in clumps on two baking sheets, then bake for 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown. (Optional: Brush with melted butter when biscuits first come out of the oven.)
- With your finger, tear small pieces of sausage and add them in a single layer to a large heavy skillet. Brown the sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Sprinkle on half the flour and stir so that the sausage soaks it all up, then add a little more until just before the sausage looks too dry. Stir it around and cook it for another minute or so, then pour in the milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook the gravy, stirring frequently, until it thickens. (This may take a good 10-12 minutes.) Sprinkle in the seasoned salt and pepper and continue cooking until very thick and luscious. If it gets too thick too soon, just splash in 1/2 cup of milk or more if needed. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Spoon sausage gravy over warm biscuits and serve immediately!