- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut shortening in until mixture is a rough texture.
- Gradually add warm water.
- Mix to form dough.
- Knead until smooth.
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes (this will make it easier to roll out).
- Start oil heating (desired temp is 375° – 400°).
- On a lightly floured board, roll dough thin (between 1/4 and 1/8 inch).
- Cut into 3 inch squares.
- Fry a few at a time, turning when golden and puffed up.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.
Mothers Secret Recipes of Comfort Food & Culinary Inspiration from an Organic and Allergen-free Approach