Yield – 1 loaf
- 1 2/3 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt * don’t have buttermilk on hand, no problem, see note below.
- 2 ½ cups (about 12 ounces) whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup molasses
- Heat oven to 325. Grease an 8×4 inch or 9×5 inch loaf pan, preferably nonstick. I use parchment in the pan too, but that’s optional.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients. I put mine in a big bowl and whisk it to combine. Stir molasses into the buttermilk. Stir liquid into dry ingredients (just enough to combine – don’t over mix!!) Pour into loaf pan.
- Bake until firm and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. My bread was done in 45 minutes, yours could take longer, but check it at the 45 minutes mark. Cool on rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
*Note: To make your own buttermilk (or soured milk). Warm 1 1/2 cups milk for 1 minute in the microwave, just enough to take the chill off. Add 2 tablespoons white vinegar. Set aside to allow to thicken.