- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Total time:
- Serves: 3 loaves
Potato bread is made with leftover mashed potatoes and makes the most tender bread ever, absolutely love the texture of this bread. It also stays fresh longer because of the potatoes.
- 6 cups flour
- 1¼ cups mashed potato
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs with milk to make 2 cups liquid
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages yeast
- ¼ C. warm water
- Add yeast to a small bowl with 1 t. of the sugar and add the warm water.
- Boil potatoes until tender. Mash and add to the milk and egg mixture when the potatoes are cool. Add the sugar, melted butter and salt to the mashed potatoes. Stir. Mix in the yeast.
- Add the flour a cup at a time and make a soft dough. Knead with a dough hook until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, covered. Knead a few minutes and divide the dough into 3 loaves. Place dough in greased bread pans and let rise until double.
- Bake at 350°F. for 25 minutes. Reduce oven to 300°F. and finish baking for another 10 minutes. Bread should sound hollow when tapped or be 165 degrees when done if you have a digital thermometer.