- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (3/4 tsp table salt)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup chilled shortening
- 1/3 cup cold butter (5 1/3 tablespoons) cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat your oven to 450F.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Stir together. Then add the chilled shortening and cold butter pieces.
3. With a pastry blender, cut in the shortening and butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Pour in the buttermilk and mix gently with a fork until just combined. The dough will be a little sticky, not overly dry or crumbly.
5. Lightly flour a clean surface. Lightly dust your rolling pin with flour. Turn the dough out of the bowl and roll to a 1/2 to 3/4-inch thickness, depending on how thick you’d like your biscuits to be.
6. Cut rounds with a biscuit cutter and place them on a baking sheet.
7. Bake for 11-14 minutes, until golden brown. Do not underbake or the biscuits will be doughy. Brush the tops with melted butter.