- 11 to 12 cups bread, 3/4″ cubes, tough crust removed
- 1 jar Pecan Pie in a Jar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup half & half or cream
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Microwave Pecan Pie in a Jar for 1 minute; carefully remove it from the microwave.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, and half & half or cream.
- Whisk in the pecan mixture. Scoop off most of the pecans, and set them aside.
- Add the bread cubes to the milk/egg, and mix lightly to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the dish; it may mound slightly.
- Spoon the pecans over the top of the pudding.
- Let the mixture sit for an hour or so at room temperature, or overnight in the refrigerator, covered. Just before baking preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the pudding for 45 to 55 minutes, uncovered, until the top is browned and the middle springs back when lightly pressed.
- Remove the pudding from the oven, and serve warm, topped with ice-cream or whipped cream. Or, as they do in New Orleans, with whiskey sauce!
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Mothers Secret Recipes of Comfort Food & Culinary Inspiration from an Organic and Allergen-free Approach