French toast-dipped Monte Cristo roll-ups stuffed with ham and Swiss cheese – perfect for dunking in maple syrup. So simple but incredibly delicious.
- Cut the crusts off the bread and use a rolling pin to flatten each slice out.
- Spread a little Dijon or mayo over the bread, if desired – I didn’t.
- Top each slice of bread with 1 slice of ham and 1 – 2 tablespoons Swiss. Roll it up and secure with 2 toothpicks.
- In a wide, shallow bowl whisk the egg, milk, vanilla and cinnamon together.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat with enough butter to generously cover the bottom.
- Dip each roll-up in the egg moving it around to coat every side.
- Working in 2 batches cook the roll-ups, turning to brown on all sides.
- Remove the toothpicks and discard.
- Serve with maple syrup or raspberry jam for dunking.