yield: 2 DOZEN BEIGNETS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 15 MINUTES
total time: 2 HOURS 30 MINUTES
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 – 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons shortening
oil, for deep frying
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit ten minutes, until bubbly.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the egg, salt, and evaporated milk. Add the milk mixture to the yeast mixture and stir to combine. Add 2 cups of the flour and mix to combine, then stir in the shortening.
- Add additional flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl and forms a soft dough that is slightly tacky to the touch. Form the dough into a ball, place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise two hours.
- When the dough has risen, heat the oil in a heavy pot or dutch oven to 350. Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thick and cut with a cookie cutter into Mickey Mouse shapes.
- Carefully lower the cut outs into the oil and cook for 30-60 seconds on each side, or until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels for 5 minutes. After the beignets have cooled slightly, sprinkle with powdered sugar.