Recipe type: Bread
Cuisine: Native American
- This recipe doubles, triples or quadruples nicely
- Mix Flour, Powder and Salt in a bowl and slowly stir in Milk
- Turn sticky batter out onto a floured surface and knead lightly for about 5 minutes
- turn the bowl over the top of the dough ball and let sit for 5-10 minutes, minimum. I’ve let mine sit covered like this for up to an hour.
- Heat about 1½” of oil in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven
- Cut dough into fourths and roll or pat & stretch out to about ¼ to ½ inch thickness
- When your oil is hot enough and a drop of water makes it snap, add one disc of dough at a time and fry until it’s golden brown on each side, turning once. This happens pretty fast, less than 2 minutes per side
- remove to a newspaper or paper towel lined platter and serve immediately.