- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 2/3 cups buttermilk or can use regular milk, too
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup oil (I use canola oil) for cooking
- Mix meal, milk, egg and salt together. Drop by spoonful into hot oil. Brown on one side then turn and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with butter. Some people eat these like pancakes with syrup. They are good with any meal and great with collard greens! Enjoy!
Mothers Secret Recipes of Comfort Food & Culinary Inspiration from an Organic and Allergen-free Approach