- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, I use Bob’s Red Mill Medium grind*
- scant 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups milk (I use organic skim milk)
- 1/3 cup vegetable or other oil (I’ve used olive oil, sunflower seed oil, grapeseed oil)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8″ or 9″ square or round baking pan with cooking spray. I used a 9″.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, milk and oil until well combined. Pour into flour mixture and whisk just until combined. (Or, use one bowl method. See notes below.)
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Serve warm or at room temperature.
1.*For the one bowl method, whisk dry ingredients together, then add all of the wet ingredients (eggs, milk, oil) and whisk just until combined.
2.*Pay attention to what cornmeal you use. A finer grind will give you a finer texture and be more cake like, while coarser grinds will give you a coarser heartier texture. The bread pictured here uses a medium grind from Bob’s Red Mill.
3.Store covered at room temperature.