“I like to have this sweet, dark and hearty bread for breakfast or with afternoon coffee or tea. Try it thinly sliced and topped with cream cheese and a scattering of chopped dates.”
Ingredients, Always Organic
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8×4 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dates, figs, butter and baking soda. Pour in the boiling water, stir well and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Beat the sugar, walnuts and eggs into the date mixture. Combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the date mixture just until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.