These waffles are crispy, golden, and fluffy on the inside. They’re perfect for weekend brunch or breakfast, and can be topped with butter, maple syrup, fruit compote, and more!
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp amaretto liqueur (can substitute 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract)
- 7.5 oz all-purpose flour (1.5 cups)
- 2.5 oz cornstarch (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Separate the egg yolks and whites, and beat together the egg yolks, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and amaretto to combine.
- Whisk to combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the leftover egg whites with the sugar, and whip to stiff peaks (if you lift the beaters straight out of the egg whites, then invert the beaters, the egg white should stand up on its own as a stiff peak).
- Stir the buttermilk liquid into the flour mixture (make sure the batter is still a little lumpy), then fold in the egg whites, being careful not to deflate them.
- Pour the batter into a preheated waffle maker and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Enjoy!