Yummy Chocolate Banana Bread
Yield: 1 (9-inch) loaf
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 55 min
Ingredients, Always Organic:
1/2 cup semi-sweet organic chocolate chips
2 cups all-purpose organic flour
3/4 cup organic sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 very ripe organic bananas, mashed well (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup organic buttermilk
2 large organic eggs, beaten lightly
6 Tablespoons crisco butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
1. Melt the chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl for 30-second increments, stirring between each increment, until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the batter.
2. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 9-inch loaf pan with parchment paper then grease the parchment paper with cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla.
5. Using a rubber spatula, lightly fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined. (The batter will be thick and chunky). Remove 1 cup of the batter to a separate bowl then add the melted chocolate to the bowl, stirring to combine.
6. Fill the loaf pan with alternating scoops of the banana batter and the chocolate batter. Using a knife, swirl the batters together.
7. Bake the bread for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.
Extra-ripe bananas are the key to the most moist, flavorful banana bread. Don’t be afraid to let bananas turn completely brown before using them for banana bread.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make a quick version using whole milk and lemon juice or white vinegar. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup, and then pour in the milk until it reaches the 1-cup mark. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes, then use 1/4 cup for this recipe and save the rest for another use.