- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2(8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 cup canned cherry pie filling
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine crean cheese, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla; mix until smooth.
- Unrool crescent rolls and reserve four triangles for decoration.
- Separate remaining dough into 12 triangles and arrange on a 15″ round baking sheet (Baking stone preferably) with points toward the center.
- Roll dough into a 14″ circle to seal the seams.
- Cut the center out with a glass and discard.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over dough to within 1/2 inch of the edges; top with pie filling.
- Roll remaining dogh into a rectangle; 6″ wide and 7″ long.
- Cut lengthwise into 12 strips.
- Twist strips and place in a spoke-like fashion over filling.
- Press ends to seal at center and outer edges.
- Brush strips with lightly beaten egg white.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown; cool slightly.
- For Glaze: Mix remaining powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
- Drizzle over coffee cake.
Mothers Secret Recipes of Comfort Food & Culinary Inspiration from an Organic and Allergen-free Approach