for the dough
- ¼ warm water
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm whole milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
for the topping
- in a large mixing bowl add water, yeast and sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to activate. If your yeast does not foam start again (water could be too hot or yeast could be expired).
- stir in whole milk, salt, vanilla, egg and oil. Mix until ingredients are well incorporated.
- add dough one cup at a time and mix until a dough begins to form.
- turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes, adding flour as needed until the dough is no longer wet & sticky.
- form into a ball and let rise in a covered bowl for 1 hour, or until dough as doubled in size.
- once dough has risen begin to heat your oil to 350-375 degrees. Pot or frying pan should be high enough to allow oil to be 3-4 inches deep.
- roll out dough to a flat oval shape that is about 1 cm thick.
- fry dough for 2 minutes on each side, and transfer to a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- brush with melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- repeat frying one at a time until you have used up all your dough.
- close your eyes, pretend you are surrounded by farris wheels & games and take a bite into summer.
Mothers Secret Recipes of Comfort Food & Culinary Inspiration from an Organic and Allergen-free Approach