- In a medium saucepan, combine maple syrup, orange juice and orange zest and bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm until ready to use.
- Position the baking racks in the middle and top third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat 2 large baking sheets very well with spray oil.
- Cut bread slices into 1-inch-wide sticks.
- In a large bowl or a shallow baking dish, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg and salt until evenly blended. Dip bread slices into egg mixture and let excess drip off into the bowl. Place slices on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and flip bread slices over.
- Return to the oven, rotating the baking sheets from top to bottom, and continue baking until French toast is golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes more. Serve with orange-maple syrup.
Per Serving: 190 calories (30 from fat), 3.5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 33g carbohydrates, (2g dietary fiber, 21g sugar), 6g protein.