Makes 1 (8 x 4″) loaf
- 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup light olive oil or non-GMO canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled apple (I used a Granny Smith apple)
- Optional: 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease and flour a 8 x 4″ loaf pan well; set aside (If you use a 9 x 5″ loaf pan, your baking time will be a little less, and your loaf will not look quite as full, since it will be a little wider and longer).
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs; add oil, sugars, and vanilla, blending well. Pour this mixture over dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in zucchini, apples, and pecans or walnuts, if using (batter will be thick). Spoon batter into your prepared 8 x 4″ loaf pan. Bake at 350˚degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean (if you use a 9 x 5″ pan, your baking time may be more like 50 to 55 minutes).
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Note: even though I greased and floured my loaf pan, I still had to loosen the edges of the loaf with a knife so it would come out easily.