For the filling:
- 4 oz cream cheese (soft at room temperature)
- 4-5 spring onions green chopped finely
- 1/4 cup each green and red bell pepper finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry parsley flakes
- 2 flour tortillas
- Filling (from above)
- handful of spinach leaves (using baby spinach)
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese of choice (am using reduced fat mix of Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, Asadero Cheese)
- Red chilli flakes to taste
For making the filling:
In a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese followed by salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and parsley flakes and then veggies like green onions, red and green bell pepper. Mix thoroughly and keep aside.
For making Tortilla Pinwheels:
Warm up a tortilla slightly either in microwave or on stove top (this step is optional but I prefer doing it). Now add a dollop of cream cheese filling and spread it evenly. Layer it with generous amount of cheese, sprinkle some red chilli flakes (optional) and top it with a evenly distributed layer of spinach leaves.
Now starting from one side, roll the tortilla tight. Take a plastic wrap and place the tortilla seam-side down on it. Roll it so that the wrap covers the entire tortilla tightly. Tuck the sides inside. Repeat this procedure for the other roll too. Now place these into the refrigerator for about minimum of 30 mins to overnight.
*For the Cold Tortilla Pinwheel:
When ready to serve cut each roll into 6-7 pinwheels and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
*For the Baked Tortilla Pinwheel:
Preheat the oven to 375F, line baking tray with aluminium foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray/ oil. Place the cut tortilla pinwheels onto the sheet and bake for 10-15 mins until the cheese has melted and the tortilla are crisp. Turn mid way through. Remove on serving plate and serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
- In the filling you can add other veggies of choice too like grated carrots, zucchini
- I prefer to keep the filling neutral and instead serve with a spicy sauce so that it caters to everyone’s taste. But you can add red chilli flakes or red chilli powder to your taste preference
- Make sure to roll the pinwheels tightly or else they will open up on cutting. They make slightly expand and open when baked but still retain their shape. The melted cheese helps keeping it together.