- 1.5 lbs russet potatoes
- salt and pepper
- old bay seasoning (optional)
- vegetable oil for frying
- Scrub the potatoes well, then julienne into matchsticks. Get them similar in size. It helps them cook more evenly all together.
- Heat up a deep fryer to 325 degrees F, and only cook a small batch at a time (I have a pretty big fryer, so I did half at a time). Fry for 5 minutes, then drain on a paper towel. Let them rest for 5-10 minutes. You will notice that they will have taken little color, if any at all, and if you taste one, the potato should be very tender.
- Bump the heat up to 375 degrees F and cook the french fries for 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel, and while still hot, put them in a bowl and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and old bay. Give it a nice toss to distribute the seasoning (we want the fries to be hot so the seasoning sticks).
- Serve with ketchup or a nice aioli, or eat them plain. Enjoy!