- 12 slices firm white sandwich bread, such as Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Style
- 2½ cups chopped cooked chicken, pulled from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- ½ cup chopped toasted pecans
- ⅓ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained and chopped
- 1 recipe Poppy Seed Dressing (recipe follows)
- Garnish: sliced strawberries
- Using a 2¼-inch square cutter, cut 2 squares from each bread slice. Cover with damp paper towels, or store in a resealable plastic bag to keep from drying out. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, strawberries, pecans, celery, green onion, mandarin oranges, and Poppy Seed Dressing, stirring to blend. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, approximately 4 hours.
- Place approximately 3 tablespoons chicken salad on a bread square. Top with another bread square. Repeat with remaining bread squares and chicken salad.
- Garnish sandwiches with strawberry slices, if desired.
- • Sandwiches can be made earlier in the day, covered with damp paper towels in an airtight container, and refrigerated until serving time. Garnish sandwiches just before serving.
Poppy Seed Dressing
Yield: ½ cup • Preparation: 5 minutes
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, poppy seeds, sugar, salt, and pepper, whisking to blend.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.