A perfect party appetizer for the holidays, this black bean dip lets the flavors develop in the Crockpot slow cooker and finished in the oven.
- 2 cups dried black beans rinsed and free of debris
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium sweet onion (300g), minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar plus extra for serving
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese for serving
- Avocado for serving
- Onion for serving
- Tortilla Chips for serving
- In a Crockpot Slow Cooker, combine the ingredients for the beans. Cover and turn on low. Let cook for 8 hours or until beans are tender. If liquid absorbs before the beans are soft, add 1 cup at a time until the beans are soft. Once beans are done, drain and reserve any extra liquid.
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Using a potato masher, mash the the beans until most of the beans are paste consistency but leaving a few bean pieces- the consistency is up to you- add leftover drained liquid as needed. Stir in the cream cheese and 2 ounces of cheddar cheese. Transfer to an 8×8 baking dish and cover with more cheese as desired.
- Transfer the baking dish to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and slightly browning, 20 minutes. Place under the broiler to brown cheese faster, if desired.
- Serve the black bean dip with tortilla chips, sliced avocado, onions, tomatoes, more cheese, and/or salsa as desired.