- 1 6-oz. can salmon (or about 1 Cup leftover shredded salmon)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES, to taste
- 1/8-1/2 tsp. salt, to taste
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. PENZEYS PEPPER, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 Cup bread crumbs
- 1/4-1/3 Cup olive oil (the oil should be deep enough so the croquettes float)
- Make sure you have removed any bones from the salmon and shred into a large bowl. Add the green pepper, onion, egg, RED PEPPER, salt and PEPPER. Mix well with your hands. Add enough breadcrumbs so the mixture sticks together when you try to form a ball.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Form the salmon mixture into small hamburger-sized patties. Cook the patties until browned on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side. You don’t want to crowd the patties (cook 2-3 at a time) or they won’t brown and you’ll have trouble flipping them.
- Shake the pan a bit to make sure they aren’t sticking, and if they are dislodge carefully by sliding a spatula underneath. Monitor your heat; it can go from just right to too hot as they cook. Turn the heat down a bit if the croquettes are getting brown really quickly (they do need 3-4 minutes to be fully done in the center).
Prep. time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes or so per batch
Serves: 8 (if you double the recipe)