- 1/3 cup Guava Paste
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 4 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 tsp milk
- 2 sheets puff pastry (1 lb package)
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp water
- Flour for dusting board
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a fork, mix egg yolk with water then set aside.
- In a small container place guava paste with 1 tsp lime juice in the microwave and heat for 15 seconds until soft. Stir until well combined, now set it aside.
- Next add 1 tsp of milk to cream cheese and combine with a fork until smooth. Set aside.
- Place a sprinkling of flour on your work surface, then roll puff pastry to form a thin rectangle. Using a large heart shaped cookie cutter (about 5 inches) cut out 12 hearts.
- Next place a dollop of cream cheese onto half of the heart cutouts. Spread leaving a border around the edges. Next add a guava paste on top and spread to cover the cream cheese. Repeat until you have guava and cream cheese on all 6 of the heart cutouts.
- Next brush the edges with egg wash then place the remaining 6 heart cutouts on top then press the edges with a fork pressing.
- Place onto an ungreased baking pan then brush the tops with egg wash. Place into preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool before serving.
Do not over stuff these or the filling will run out of the sides.
Make sure to use egg wash to seal the ends or it will open during baking.