YIELD: 4 TO 6 SERVINGS
- 2 large green tomatoes
- kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- ¼ c. bacon fat or cooking oil
- 1 c. cornmeal
- ¼ tsp. Cajun seasoning
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/2-inch thick slices and season generously with salt and pepper; let rest for 5 minutes. Place into a small, shallow bowl and cover with buttermilk. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes or longer.
- Melt bacon fat over medium heat.
- Mix cornmeal and Cajun seasoning on a plate. Remove the tomato slices from the buttermilk, letting excess drip off, then dredge in the cornmeal, coating both sides and edges. Dip the tomatoes back into the buttermilk and then the cornmeal. Place immediately into the hot fat in batches, frying for about 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown, turning only once. Repeat with remaining slices adding additional fat to skillet as needed.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt; serve immediately. Serve just plain, with a dab of mayonnaise, or with your favorite sauce. Recommended: spicy mustard sauce or remoulade sauce.