Serves 15 to 20
- 5 pints button mushrooms
- 4 Italian sausage links
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 yellow onions, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ounces asiago cheese, shredded
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp cloth and pull out the stems and discard. Toss the cleaned de-stemmed mushrooms with 5 tablespoons of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- Slit the Italian sausage and remove casing. Crumble in a heated pan and sauté until golden brown. Break up into small pieces while it is cooking. Set aside and cool.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan and add the onions. Cook until dark and caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes. Then add in the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Now add the cooked sausage, onions and garlic, cream cheese, salt and pepper, and 3 oounces of shredded Asiago cheese to a bowl and mix well with your hands. Break apart any large pieces of sausage.
- Heat your oven to 375° F. Line up your mushrooms in a greased baking dish with the core side facing up. Stuff each mushroom with a generous portion of the creamy sausage mixture. Top the mushrooms with the remaining Asiago cheese.
- Bake your mushrooms for roughly 45 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden brown. (This dish can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and put in the cooler until you are ready to put it in the oven.)