- 24 white button mushrooms (24 caps plus 1 cup of stems chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 5 tablespoons imitation (or fresh) crab
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Wipe the mushrooms clean. Carefully remove the stems from the caps. If the stems break and leave only a small space inside the cap use the end of a spoon to dig out a bit more space. Toss the mushroom caps with 1 tablespoon melted butter and set aside in a large glass baking dish.
- In a deep saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add the cup of chopped mushroom stems and the minced shallot, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the splash of vinegar, and then add the breadcrumbs, herbs, reserving some for garnish, zest, salt and pepper, cream cheese, and crab and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the breadcrumbs are soft and buttery.
- Using a small spoon, fill the caps with stuffing. Press the stuffing in with a small spoon. Arrange the stuffed mushrooms on a baking dish, sprinkle each mushroom with a little bit of cheese and bake for 20 minutes, until the juices start to bubble out of the mushrooms. Garnish with herbs, serve and enjoy!