- Serves: 24
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 12slices bacon, low-sodium
- 3/4 lb (0.4 kg)boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)light tamari sauce or 1 tbsp (15 mL)low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)ketchup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL)sesame oil, smoked
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)sesame seeds, (optional garnish)
- 2green onions, finely-sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Preheat the pan over medium-high heat. Place bacon flat in pan and partially cook by frying for 2 ½ minutes on each side to remove fat and make them pliable. Be careful to not over cook as the bacon will crack when being wrapped around chicken pieces. Place on paper towels to drain and cool.
- Cut the chicken breast into cubes about 1 inch (2.5 cm) square to make 24 pieces. Each breast should give about 8 cubes. If there are small ones from the ends they can be combined when wrapped in bacon. Place chicken cubes in baking dish.
- Pour light tamari (or soy sauce), maple syrup, ketchup, chili garlic sauce, and sesame oil over chicken cubes in the dish. Toss to coat.
- Cut the cooled, pre-cooked bacon slices in half. Use a toothpick and pick up a chicken cube. Wrap the bacon around the chicken cubes and secure with the toothpick. Place back in the marinade in the same dish. Make 23 more rumaki in same manner. When done putting tooth picks through bundles, make sure they are seam-side down and spread out evenly in the dish. Spoon sauce over to coat.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and bacon is nicely browned.
- To serve, remove from dish and place on serving platter. Pour any juices from pan over picks. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and finely-sliced green onions (optional garnishes). Serve hot or warm.
If you don’t like the heat add another tablespoon of ketchup.
If you need a gluten-free version, make sure your tamari and chili sauce are gluten-free.
Bacon was similarly wrapped around dates and scallops. Sometimes you see them called “Angels on Horseback.”