YIELD: 25-30 MUSHROOMS
- 25-30 button mushrooms (mine were on the smaller side)
- 1/2 small onion (about 1/3 cup), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces (188g, 3/4 of a package) cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 can (120g, 4 oz) crab meat, drained
- 1 package bacon, pieces cut in half (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash the mushrooms and pop out the stems. Chop the stems finely. In a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, saute the onions until softened. Add the garlic and the chopped mushroom stems and season with salt and pepper. Continue to saute for 3-4 minutes until the onions have browned and the mushrooms have released their liquid.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese and the egg yolk until well combined. Stir in the parmesan cheese and the crab meat. Add the onion mixture and stir well. If the mixture is really soft, place the bowl in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to allow it to firm up before filling the mushrooms.
- Scoop the filling into the mushroom caps and place them on the baking sheet. Fill them up as full as you can, it can be heaped up a bit. If you’re using bacon, take half a piece of bacon and lay it across the top of the filled mushroom cap and wrap the ends around, setting it down on the baking sheet on top of the ends to hold them in place. Repeat with the other mushrooms.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the bacon is as well cooked as you would like. Let cool slightly before eating. The mushrooms can be prepared a day in advance and kept in the refrigerator until baking. Or you can prepare them and then freeze them before thawing and baking. Or bake and then freeze to reheat them later. From frozen reheat at 350F for 20-25 minutes until heated through.