- 1 cup plain homemade nondairy yogurt (can be soy, almond or almond coconut)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola, sunflower or safflower oil
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp agar agar powder or carrageenan powder
- 1 tsp fine salt
- Put all of the following ingredients in a blender and process till smooth. Pour the blended mixture into a heavy bottom sauce pan. Cook over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes whisking the whole time until very smooth, thick, gooey and glossy. Make sure the cheese mixture has a gloss to it or once it is formed it will not melt well when cooked with.
- Pour the thick gooey glossy cheese mixture into a glass or nonreactive bowl or mold and smooth the top.
- Let cool completely at room temp. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours before using.
Note: I like to let mine age in the fridge for about a week before using. It can be used as soon as it is cold, I just like to let it age a bit. It makes a great grilled cheese, mac and cheese, addition to a creamy sauce or even spread on crackers.